Sunday 26 January 2014

In response to Muirhead Bone

As part of the Invitation to exhibit at the Royal West of England Academy I have been asked for the piece of work to respond to  works by a war artist. The artist I have been paired with is Muirhead Bone.

http://www.tate.org.uk/art/artists/sir-muirhead-bone-778


 As you can see by the examples above there is a very strong similarity in the aesthetic of his work and my own. We also share the same connection with drawing and the etching process. He had a nickname at the tine as the British Piranesi and the original  Giovanni Battista Piranesi has long been a strong influence on my own work.  
Please see below for examples of Piranesi's Imaginary prison (Carceri d'invenzione) series.




I look forward into seeing how I can look deeper into Muirhead Bones work and hopefully discover more connections and similarities with my own. Within in my own work I want to start looking more into monoliths, monuments and memorials and creating my own form first hand  drawing research and reference. It will be interesting to see how working towards this exhibition can give me more clarity and direction with my own themes and concepts.






No comments:

Post a Comment